Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nutrition and Hydration

The only thing I can offer to my in-laws in this trying time, is an ear and a meal. Often, during periods of business and stress, people skip meals and then gorge on anything handy.

While staying on the sidelines, I load the table buffet style with healthy breads and meats, tasty cheeses, lots of fruits, vegetables, and condiments. These are then ready to assemble a feast to their suiting just as fast as they can grab. We are enjoying avocado, tomato, alfalfa sprouts, various lettuces, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and whatever else looks fresh and fast at the local market. These goodies, are being eaten out of hand, dipped in dressing, or assembled on a wrap, bun, or slices of bread. Combined with slices of salami, ham, turkey, roast beef, peperoni, and various cheeses, a sandwich is less boring. Now we top with various mustard's, mayo's, hot sauces, a squirt of fresh lime juice, and that wonderful Asian peanut sauce, a sandwich comes alive with flavor and rib-sticking nutrition. With a variety of fruits available on the side, everyone is well fed and happy.

In writing this, I have to laugh at myself. While watching the market each day, I am having periods of business and stress. When I eventually take a break, I grab whatever is fast and get back to work.

Methinks that its time to... well... find a team of attractive volunteer cheerleaders who can can maintain a spread of fresh healthy food. Short of that, I'll have to plan ahead a little, dedicate some storage containers, and keep some of my fav's in easy reach.

Oh, I should also keep a fresh glass of some tasty low-cal beverage or just plain water always available too. Eureka! I can even drink well water if it has a bit of fresh lime juice in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment