Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stock Trading Malware

A dear friend of mine just gave me an important warning; Somebody has created a Trojan that can affect my trading platform.

I did some research (I googled it) and discovered that it is true. in this article, we see that several platforms are affected: "Among the unusually short list of institutions specifically targeted by Tigger are E-Trade, ING Direct ShareBuilder, Vanguard, Options XPress, TD Ameritrade and Scottrade."

My computer was affected by a particularly obnoxious piece of malware last month leaving me only to trade on my backup laptop. We eventually repaired it by converting the operating system to Linux. Sadly, my IT guy could not get the trading software to run so I had to switch back to Windows. Fortunately, we were able to do that, and get everything working, before the backup laptop got the same @#$ing infection.

Now I am afraid to do anything with my computers except trade and train to make better trades. Neither McAffe or Norton were able to discover last month's malware so I think I'll investigate AntiVir which was recommended in the article.

Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment